Tuesday, December 22, 2015

THE 12 DAYS OF CHRISTMAS

What is it with the freaking holidays?  They just always seem to unleash so much chaos in the world.  And for me personally, that usually comes at the time of year when I need and yearn to be the most still, the most rested, and the most reflective.  I so desire a personal season of celebration that reflects my own values and beliefs around the holidays.  Yet it seems no matter which way I approach it, the reality of this symmetry coming to fruition is quite a process. One thing that has evolved in my own little family over the years is getting a handle on the gift giving/receiving bit.  This year things feel particularly pared down in the best of ways.  I would love an Advent and Christmas season that focused on reflection, time together, shared meals, and down time and kept the material exchange to a minimum.  Is this possible?  Certainly.  It just makes me feel a bit like an alien in some circles, and when connecting with any media source.  In this vein, however, a colleague of mine suggested adding this book to my list and I think I might just do it.  Maybe in time for next Christmas!

 

What do you think?  Possible?  Enjoyable?  I'll let you know if and when my family and I get on board. 

No comments:

Post a Comment