Wednesday, August 22, 2012

MORE SPINACH PLEASE

I'm traveling for work this week so I spent some time on Sunday getting a bit of food prepped for my little love bug to eat while I'm gone.  Since we're still trying to follow the GAPS Diet in an effort to control her epilepsy, making sure we had the right foods stocked was an essential before leaving town.  One of the super rad residents of the AYAVA House made this spinach dish at a community dinner this spring and I watched in wonder as my child ate almost an entire plate of spinach right in front of my eyes.  Since then it's been a staple at our house, and a few weeks ago I made it as a side dish for a brunch and it went over really well.  A dear friend requested the recipe, so I'm listing the original (with a few tiny adjustments) and our GAPS modifications for any and all who may be interested.  It's a delicious way to get your greens, though I realize the pound of cheese involved may be daunting for super healthy types.  In true optimist fashion (notice I'm leaving out the skinny here), I'm choosing to ignore the calories and embrace the calcium.  Life is short.  Live well!
oh how i love spinach


SPINACH SQUARES

  Ingredients
  • 4 tablespoons butter
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour (our substitute:  1/2 cup almond flour and 1/2 cup coconut flour)
  • 1 cup milk (our substitute: 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk)
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 pound shredded Cheddar cheese (we also use Gouda and/or Monterey Jack)
  • 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach (or fresh spinach cooked just to the point of wilting)
  • 1 onion
  • 2 gloves garlic (we use 4 or 5)

eating spinach and cannot contain my delight
 Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
  2. Place butter or margarine in a 9x13 inch baking dish and melt butter in oven. Remove when melted.
  3. In large mixing bowl, beat eggs well. Mix in flour, milk and baking powder. When the dough is well combined, mix in cheese, spinach, and onion. Add melted butter. Spoon mixture into the greased baking dish. 
  4. Bake for 35 minutes or until lightly browned.

No comments:

Post a Comment