Wednesday, July 18, 2012

BETTER BABY BOOK?

I wanted to offer a few quick thoughts and post to a link that I'm sharing with many of my close female friends.  Sometime this spring I read an article in Vogue magazine that peaked my interest, and I researched it more to find a link to the site of a California couple (she is an MD, he is a Nutritionist among other things) who have developed what they consider an ideal diet for conceiving, gestating, and nurturing a baby.  The article resonated with me, as we've been following the incredible GAPS diet to help control my child's epilepsy with great success.  Seriously, I am in love with this diet and wish I could send Dr. Natasha Campbell-McBride, the incredibly smart and articulate woman who developed the protocol, a giant hug via Cyberspace.

When I came across the article in Vogue it referred to many of the major ideas behind the GAPS diet.  I'm sharing it because I think it's wonderful advice, and nutritionally sound.  But I have to say, I find the book and blog title a little disconcerting, and so I offer the link with these thoughts and questions in mind:  Yes, I think nutrition is key and can enhance fertility and the health of babies.  That is awesome.  No, nutrition can not prevent everything, and as the mother of a child with a disability, I'm sort of offended by the obsession with building "better" babies.   Perhaps I'm overly sensitive, because I'm all about healthy kids, but does this mean that babies with out Downs Syndrome are "better" than babies with Downs Syndrome because of their most excellent, optimal health and genetic expression?  Does this indicate that parents of children with Cerebral Palsy, congenital abnormalities, or autism have done something to create their child's condition? And what does this say about our society in general?  I'm sure that's not what this couple intends to communicate, but there is something about the title that kind of chaps my Southern ass. If it didn't seem like they were right on the money in terms of nurturing a pre-pregnant, pregnant and post-pregnant body, I would be completely and totally annoyed.

At any rate, here's to sound nutrition and healthy mothers and children everywhere.  Besides, every mother knows her baby is the best after all!


 Without further adieu, the link:

                                               http://www.betterbabybook.com/diet/

No comments:

Post a Comment