Tuesday, August 7, 2012

MAY I RECOMMEND-

If you're looking for a little fun this week and don't know what to do, or can't find a babysitter, may I humbly recommend-

Sitting on your sofa while sipping wine and watching Olympic athletes kick ass.

Seriously, I haven't had this much fun in a while.  At least not on a consistent basis.  I'm supposed to be training for this triathlon but instead I've spent multiple nights drinking with my husband on the couch, watching people who are incredibly fit work hard to achieve THEIR life goals.  Ah, the irony.

At any rate, who knew the Olympics could be so entertaining?  I don't think I watched a single event in 2008, so my excitement this year really caught me off guard.  Maybe it's becoming a mom, or becoming the mom of a kid with specific challenges, but some nights I can't keep back the tears with all of NBC's emotional side stories.  It's like one big inspiration-fest.

And then there's the humor of it all.  Here's a short list of the highlights we've witnessed in our haphazard, flip the T.V. on whenever we have time kind of way:

-Ryan Seacrest as an Olympic commentator.  WTF?  This is the man who produces the Kardashian's show.  And that makes him credentialed how?  The circus of media broadcast is
entertainment in and of itself.

-Danell Leyva's bronze medal.  He came back from a seemingly impossible situation to win the bronze, and it was fun to watch.  But even more fun was watching Danell Leyva with his Towlie.  What's a Towlie, you might ask?  Well, here's the original:


Towelie was this random character from Southpark that I know about primarily through my husband, who is a huge fan of the show.  And I have to hand it to them, as offensive as Southpark can be (and they can be offensive on an epic scale) they are still, often, funny as hell.  Towelie was this sort of imaginary friend character who popped up spontaneously and then developed a crack addiction at some point (random, but this is all I can really remember) then remained an occasional sidekick to the Southpark kids after they helped him "get clean" as it were (ironic for a Towel, right?).

So Danell Leyva has his own Towelie.  And this lucky towel has literally developed a life of it's own.  The towel has it's own Twitter account, for Lawd's sake. Watch the Olympics, people.  It rarely gets better than this.



-The gymnastic commentators.  Watching what extraordinary things the gymnasts are doing with their bodies, then hearing the commentators cringe at their mistakes which are almost completely negligible, is somehow really funny in this ridiculous way.  

-Trampolining and synchronized diving.  Who knew these were Olympic sports?  Way gawk worthy.

-Lashinda Demus.  Here she is looking all sexy AND athletic, and there she is with her twins.   If this isn't encouragement for keeping the dream alive after babies, I don't know what is.


 -And along the lines of Lashinda Demus, all those runner ladies.  Talk about super fit bodies.  Geez.  It's almost enough to make me want to lace up my own running shoes.  Almost.  Instead, I usually decide to pour another glass of wine and keep gawking.

-The Italian fencing team.  Three letters:  H-O-T.  Totally worth watching a sport that I absolutely do not understand.  Now if only they would find more opportunities to take off those damn Darth Vader helmets.    

-Quality time with the fam, and rallying around the people and places we love.  There's just something so nice and inspiring about a break from routine and bad reality television.  And celebrating people who dream big and work their asses off.  There's definitely something to be learned here (starting Saturday, after the Closing ceremonies, of course).

-And finally, good wine to grease the spirit and mark the occasion.  I had this delicious white wine the other night over dinner with some lady friends (I do pry myself away from the television occasionally) and fell in love.  Then I found out the price (about $7 a bottle) and immediately knew I'd found the one.  Or at least the one for this week.
HB Picpoul De Pinet 2010 Languedoc, France
Have fun people, and don't take bronze for an answer.  Go for the gold.  You're worth every ounce of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment