Monday, December 21, 2015

11 WAS MY BREACHING AGE

Does anyone remember this term from college?  I think I first encountered it in a Shakespeare class.  At any rate, the idea (at least as I hazily recall it) is that little boys would wear skirts until the age of 8, at which time they began to wear "breaches" or pants.  So 8 was considered the "breaching age".  Just a little Elizabethan trivia to get your day started, though I do love the ideas and questions behind it with all the gender and gender development talk floating around our ethosphere right now.

I've been working on my personal life over the past year (Read: THERAPY) and it's been interesting to excavate back as I also work on the here and now.  Like everything, family systems inevitably come into play.   11 was definitely the age when I had to put on my big girl pants, and the rest is fodder for the ages.   With all this in mind, as well as so many of the thoughts and questions we entertain raising a child with special needs, I was MASSIVELY psyched to get this book in the mail from one of my close friends recently.  It's been on my list for two years, and is next on my to-read list.  I might even gift it to a few people myself!  I'll report back once I'm done, but I've had many trustworthy sources confirm it's awesomeness so if this kind of thing is your bag, I would definitely add it to your list for the New Year.



No comments:

Post a Comment